Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

♔ Details

Title: Catching Jordan
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release date: 1st December 2011
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.

♔ Review


Jordan is the quarterback of her high school football team. Her brother also plays football in college. It's in their genes -- their father is a professional football player. But... he doesn't approve of her practicing that sport, claiming that it's too dangerous for a girl to play against guys who more than double her in size. But how can she just throw away her dream, the one thing she loves doing?

I loved the concept (the only girl in a team full of boys) and I have to say the book didn't let me down at all in this. I love strong, independent female characters and Jordan is the perfect example. She is a girl, yeah, but the boys in her team treat her like an equal. It was endearing, really.

I have to admit I was a bit (okay, very) lost when it came to the playing itself. Living here in Europe the sport I'm familiar with is soccer, and soccer and football are very different. But that was just a couple of times, and it didn't stop me from following what was essentially happening in the book. Another definitely strong point of the story is how Jordan was NOT perfect. She was good at football, of course. But she had bad days. She made bad decisions. She isn't a heroine, she is just human, she is just herself. I found it so refreshing!

Oh, silly me, I was forgetting to say something about the boys. The totally swoon-worthy players. I was surprised to see a love triangle developing, but I absolutely loved Jordan's final choice.

A very nice and real contemporary! Can't wait to read Stealing Parker, the author's next book.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

5 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

YAY! I'm really happy that you loved this one, Sophie! I keep hearing only the most AMAZING things about it, and it always makes me wonder why I haven't picked it up yet. x) But I love the concept of being the only girl in a team full of boys too! I'm probably ten times klutzier than Jordan, but I think it would be fun! ;)

Amazing review, Sophie! Like you, I find it really refreshing when characters aren't perfect so I know I'll love this one too! :)

Carina said...

Living in Germany, I was afraid to have problems to understand the football-parts as well (with soccer I wouldn't have a problem :D), but I felt like this wasn't too heavy on the details. A few parts weren't that easy to understand but they weren't really important at the same time. :D

I really loved this, so I'm happy you liked it, too. Can't wait for STEALING PARKER, the companion novel. Is it October yet? :D

Carina
Fictional Distraction

Sarah Brown said...

This book sounds really good and I've been wanting to read it for a while, great review, new follower

www.headstuckinabook.blogspot.com

Alison Can Read said...

I loved this book. I agree that it was great that Jordan wasn't perfect. She was a full character. I didn't have much trouble following the American football parts. I don't know much about football, but I know enough of the basics to get the gist. But it would be harder if you weren't America. Great review!

Miss Page-Turner said...

Wasn't Catching Jordan a really fun contemporary read? I loved it, especially the romance between Jordan and her choice you're happy with;) I was lost when it came to the football rules and jargon too, but I didn't mind that. I even felt like watching a football game after finishing the book, haha.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio