Friday, February 24, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

♔ Details

Title: The Hunger Games - The Hunger Games #1
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Release date: 1st October 2008
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
♔ Review

I know I was one of the few who still hadn't read The Hunger Games. Heck, even here in Spain everyone seems to have read it! I was definitely going to see the movie, though, and my friends convinced me to read the book before the movie.

Where to start? I surely won't be saying something you don't already know. I was instantly drawn to The Hunger Games' world. The book isn't overflowed by description, but it felt very real. The author let us know just the exact amount of details to follow the story comfortably without making it overwhelming. It surely had a dystopian setting but I found it easy to read!

Katniss is just another resident of District 12, normal like just any other girl but for the fact that she hunts ilegally in the woods outside her city to support her family since her father died. The country of Panem consists in twelve Districts. The 13th was obliterated in the rebellion, and The Hunger Games are held every year as a reminder of the Capitol's power. Every year, a boy and a girl from each district are chosen randomly between ages 12 and 18 to participate in them. They are sent to an arena to survive, to fight with each other -- until there is only one left alive.

Okay, so just let me tell you what I thought about the Hunger Games: I was so frustrated I wanted to bite something. Literally. It's just that... Sending off children to kill each other? I knew more less what the story was about, but when it really happened I was shocked and I found the whole thing very unfair.

I liked how the author quickly makes us notice the characters that will be most important in the books. There are 24 boys and girls in total and I'm a complete disaster when it comes to remember a lot of names and characters at the same time, so that was a huge help. I didn't connect with Katniss as much as I'd hoped, but I still liked her strength, her fighter nature. I learned a lot about survival (often happens when reading post-apocalyptic books)! Peeta was also very likable, and I found his honesty very sweet.

All in all, while not one of my favorites, I have to admit that The Hunger Games is really well thought and well written. I thought that the games would last through the entire three books, so I was really surprised when it ended. But now I can't wait to read the other two books!

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

5 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh my gosh, I'm SO SO SO happy that you loved this book, Sophie -- I think it has to be one of my favourite books of all time! :) And your review and my thoughts were so similar for this too! I admired & adored Katniss so much, but I agree with how much you were shocked that children were sent off to kill each other... I can hardly imagine the awfulness of that either!

Still, this was such a honestly beautiful review, Sophie! :) Now you can join the legions of fans waiting not-so-patiently for the movie -- I hope you love the other two books too! <3

Vicky said...

I STILL need to read this series! To be honest, I've heard good and bad things about it equally so I'm really looking forward to picking it up. And I'm with you on the remembering names issue, I'm useless when it comes to remembering more than like..6 people in the book.

Great review Sophie! :)

Miss Page-Turner said...

There will be so much more to explore in the two following books!!! I'm a fan of the books and am glad that you liked The Hunger Games. I think that it carries a strong message and hope it doesn't get lost in the movie. I'm looking foward to go to the movies!!

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiner's Book Blog) said...

Amazing how something so dark can be such a powerful and hypnotic read, huh?

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Alison Can Read said...

Glad you finally read this. I loved it. It's so hard to put down. I liked Peeta in this one but I didn't come to love him until the second book.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio