Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Review: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

♔ Details

Title: Incarnate - Newsoul #1
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Release date: 31 January 2012

♔ Summary
New soul
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies--human and creature alike--let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.
♔ Review

I read the first chapters on PitchDark and I couldn't resist. I preordered the kindle edition the day before it went out (I'd have died before the shipping got here were it the physical edition). To my surprise, I got the book in a few hours!

Everyone calls Ana a nosoul. People usually reincarnates once they die, establishing a curious way of immortality. There have always been the same one million people; they have had hundreds of lifetimes and they all know each other. But Ana is a newsoul, someone who hasn't been reincarnated. They were expecting her to be Ciana, who had lived for more than five thousand years. That's the reason why everyone treats her with hate and disdain, like her mere existence supposed a threat to their reincarnations.

The worst was her mother, Li, who never showed her a little of acceptance or love and made her believe that she shouldn't have existed, that nosouls were incapable of love or feelings and that she probably wouldn't even reincarnate like everyone else. She feels like a butterfly; fleeting one moment, gone the other. When she turns eighteen she decides she's had enough and leaves for the city, Heart, to look for information about herself. But the world is a far more inhospitable place than she'd thought and, after a couple of near-death experiences she finds herself on her way to Heart with a boy apparently her age, Sam, who supposedly doesn't hate her for who she is. Once in the city she will have to cope with restrictions, laws, people and their true longevity.

I absolutely loved the beginning. At first I felt a little lost about the reincarnations, but luckily Jodi Meadows does a fine work intertwining the story events with the information about how it all worked. I was immensely interested in their society, how every member played its part within their many lifetimes, how it all stood together. Ana was a great main character. She felt real, and I liked her fighter nature. Oh, and Sam is quite a character. The more I read about him, the more I liked him. He was quite a mystery himself. And the romantic scenes? My gosh, it was all I could do to stop myself from squealing! My bubbly teenage self kept thinking "wait, wait, did that just happen?!". One of the purest love stories I have read.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the ending. It felt kind of rushed, and some parts left me a bit puzzled. I'm usually picky when it comes to ending, but this time I think it didn't have anything to do with my pickiness. But of course I'm looking forward to the next book! Can't wait to discover more about Ana and her world. We end up knowing more about her condition as a newsoul, but it feels like there is so much that we still have to learn!

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

3 comments:

Carina said...

I've heard so many awesome things about this one, so I'm really happy that I still have an eARC of it on my Kindle, which I really hope to get to soon.

Thanks for your honest and really great review! The more reviews I read, the more I want to pick up INCARNATE immediately. :D

Carina

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I really enjoyed this book as well. It was beautifully written! I really can't wait for the next book. :)

Great review!!

Gianna said...

:D I have a copy of this book~ But of course, as USUAL, I haven't read it yet. ;-;

It's in the middle of my TBR pile, but because of this review, I might have to go bump it up! XD

Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts, Sophie! <333

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio