Saturday, February 04, 2012

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

♔ Details

Title: Shatter Me - Shatter Me #1
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: Harper
Release date: 15 November 2011
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.

♔ Review

You know you're gonna love a book when you're thinking "Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!" through all the book. And those were exactly my thoughts while I read Shatter Me. It only lasted one day. So short! But so utterly amazing. So, so perfect. I won't ever think for one instant that I'll do this book justice with my review.

Juliette, the main character, can kill people just by touching their skin. It's like she absorbs the other's life force, and if the skin contact is long enough, she drains their life completely. She's always been isolated, rejected because of her rare "disease". No one touches her. No one talks to her. When she is fourteen there's an accident related to her strange ability and afterwards she is sent to a prison for not so stable people. Meanwhile, The Reestablishment is making people think that they can help save what's left of the Earth.

What drew me in at first was the unique narration. At first I found it a little bit weird, not being used to it, but shortly after I was so engrossed in it. The description was breathtaking. It reflected exactly what Juliette felt and thought. And what a girl! Sometimes she really did seem a little bit psycho, but I loved her the more. Juliette was an instant connection for me. She seemed so natural, so herself, so real. Tangible. It's obvious she hasn't known much love in her life, so when she encounters someone who does care for her, I was pinning for them as hard as she was.

I've talked about Juliette, but of course there are other characters. Tahereh Mafi's characterization is AWESOME. I loved every single character of the book. They were all so defined, so real, so... adorable (the latter one only applying to the "good characters", of course) I just wanted to hug them. Gosh, I wanted to hug the book the whole time!

And then comes Adam. Oh. My. God. I've rarely felt that need for a "book boyfriend" thing with the romantic interest of the books. But Adam? YES, PLEASE. He has gorgeous eyes, he has a totally adorable younger brother, he's gentle, he cares for her... He is perfect, and so much more at the same time.

In Shatter Me there is not even a spare moment to relax. There's just so much tension, so much action! This is one of those books that you won't be able to put down once you've started. Thank you Tahereh Mafi for writing this amazing book!

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

1 comments:

Miss Page-Turner said...

That's a very good review! Now after finishing Shatter Me, I can finally read it, haha. You describe exactly how I felt about Juliette. The writing and narration are amazing, just as Adam. SWOON!

Thanks so so much for recommending it to me!!! x

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio