Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

♔ Details

Title: Catching Fire - The Hunger Games #2
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Release date: 1st September 2009
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before... and surprising readers at every turn.
♔ Review

Catching Fire totally blew me away. In fact, I liked it more than the first! Not because here everyone is happy or anything. But, maybe, because I already knew the characters and how everything worked in their world. In this book I fell even more in love with Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Cinna, Effie, Prim... It was really great reading about them again. I hadn't noticed how attached I grew to them until I started Catching Fire.

So... It got frustrating for me to see children sent to an arena to kill each other in the first book. But, being sent there A SECOND TIME? I was speechless. Outraged. It was downright cruel, knowing how it had affected all the previous winners. At least the people from the Capitol were discontent with their decision as well. It eased me a bit. This time I was fully prepared for what was to come: the trip to the Capitol, the preparation, the training center, the games, so I enjoyed it a lot more.

An then there are the love struggles. Oh, boy, did I enjoy reading about them. This time the tension was palpable. I still don't know how to feel about the love triangle. When they were in the games everything pointed to Peeta, but then they return and there's Gale, but then they go off again... I hope it all gets solved in the third book, Mockingjay, hopefully without anyone getting hurt (hey! A girl can dream, right?).

I think I can safely say that Catching Fire is my favorite of the series. I feel like the first is special on its own because it is the "original", when things happen for the first time, but I fully enjoyed myself with the second. Cannot wait to see what the third is like!

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

4 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

I was so mad when they were forced to go into the arena a second time too!! Oh gosh, Sophie, I knew something terrible was going to happen but I never would've guessed it was something that bad! I'm pretty sure I was holding my breath while I read this book -- especially since Suzanne Collins made us fall in love with so many new characters on top of the ones we already loved that it was scary having to think about losing any!

Absolutely amazing review, Sophie! I think that this was my favourite book of the series too! I won't give away anything about the love triangle, but let me just say that I'm really excited to read what you think of Mockingjay's finale! ;) ♥

Sophia said...

Catching Fire is without a doubt my favorite book in the series! When I found out that Katniss had to compete again, I was so mad also! The love struggles in this book are crazy. Katniss is so conflicted and as a reader, I felt pulled both ways! Wonderful review, Sophie! :) I hope you love Mockingjay. <3

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

Catching Fire is totally my favorite! When you figure out the whole arena, I was like, "Wow, how does someone come up with that?" Very very cool. Great review!

Miss Page-Turner said...

I really want to re-read the series right now, with the movie coming out soon

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio