Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

♔ Details

Title: Mockingjay - The Hunger Games #3
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Release date: 24th August 2010
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.
It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains - except Katniss.
The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost.
♔ Review

I finally read the third book of The Hunger Games! I always like when the book is very long or it's a series, but it's always sad when you see it ending. In this case, it wasn't any different. The good and bad thing about this series is that you go through so many hardships, you relish so much in their successes, that in no time they've already taken a place in your heart.

Aaaaah, Mockingjay. After finishing Catching Fire I was dying to continue reading and know what had happened to everyone. I was making my own versions and possibilities, but I was still stunned.

To tell the truth, all the book passed mostly like a blur. I just kept reading. All the time, I was worried sick of Peeta. But Katniss? I wanted to sympathize with her, I really did. But I wanted her to react, to do something, to fight, to rescue him. Instead, she was in a catatonic state (I know I shouldn't, but I couldn't help comparing her to Bella in New Moon). And Peeta? Well, remember the first book when he joined the Careers in the games? I thought "Wow, he's a good fighter after all!" and I waited to see him in action, to demonstrate his abilities. But have you noticed he's injured all the time? There was no fighter-Peeta (I love him anyways, of course), although I know his power rests within his words, in the way he speaks (something I'll always admire).

In this book there were, in my opinion, too many deaths. MY POOR TEARS. I said I had fallen in love with the characters, and well, it proved that.

The end confused me. A lot. I'm still shaken, and I don't really know who the bad guy was. I'm a bit unsure how I feel about the series' end.  All in all I was sad to see it ended, happy because of Katniss' choice in the love department. I still think my favorite is Catching Fire, and I want to re-read the series another time (probably after I see the movie) to set my feelings.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔

5 comments:

Rachel @ Unforgettable Books said...

My favorite will always be catching fire too. i know, peeta is always injured, but i also love how powerful he is at debating. i didn't really enjoy this book, but found it a decent end.

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh, Sophie, I know what you mean! I'm always so nostalgic whenever a series ends. It made me so sad with how many people dies in this book too! I kept reminding myself that it was realistic because that's what happens in war, but my heart still broke with every one. And even though Peeta wasn't exactly the fighter we get in most YA books, you're totally right when you say that he's sweet and has an amazing way with words. :) Go Peeta!

Amazing review, Sophie! Even though we're both sad that this series is ending, at least we have the movie coming up to satisfy our cravings! ;) ♥

Laura @ My Enchanted Bookshelf said...

Totally agree with your review; I loved Hunger Games and Catching Fire and Mockingjay was just Eh. Sad it is over but super psyched to see the movie; it looks amazing!

Alison Can Read said...

Catching Fire was my favorite too. I was very angry at Finnick's death in Mockingjay. Not that he died, but that it was just skipped over. I was more upset about his death than Prim's.

Miss Page-Turner said...

Great review! I really loved the The Hunger Games series. I cried a lot in the end of Mockingjay. I had never expected the events to go down the way they did...
I think you are confused about the villain, because both sides did bad things. I didn't realise it then, but now that you mention it and I think about it, I really like the way Suzanne Collins showed that there is no ultimate villain or hero side, that in war anything is possible and every human can do evil things.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio