Saturday, March 24, 2012

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

♔ Details

Title: Paranormalcy - Paranormalcy #1
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: 1st September 2010
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.
♔ Review

Paranormalcy wasn't what I was expecting at all. First of all, I read it in Spanish, which I don't usually do (I don't like reading translations, I always prefer the original version). But I liked it anyways! I had a very bad experience with City of Bones, which I also read in Spanish but the translation was so horrible it ruined the whole book for me. So, yay!

To tell you the truth, I decided I had to read this as soon as possible when I read the first couple of pages in my local bookstore. It's just that there was some kind of humor... it totally sold me. And then, the paranormal theme (hence the title). Sometimes it's not easy throwing a bunch of paranormal creatures in an otherwise normal world, but Kiersten White did a wonderful job blending them together. I liked the mix!

Our main character, Evie, works for the IPCA, controlling the paranormal beings. I liked the fact that she wasn't with the "good ones" at first. It was interesting! How you can judge something as "evil" if you've lived your entire life by it, thinking that it was the right thing? Sometimes I found Evie a bit immature (is it just me, or she was tearing up almost all the time?) but I found her even more endearing. In this book there are a bunch of lovely characters. First of all, Reth... Oh gosh, he was SMOKING HOT. Really! Well, at the end I had mixed opinions about him, but I sure hope to see more of him in the future. And then there's Lend. Lend. Lend. What can I say? His name is so awesome (or weird, but that's the main reason why it's awesome) I don't know what else to say. Oh, yeah. His gift had me totally fascinated.

Lend was the sweetest character, and theirs was one of the sweetest romance I have read! With a love story that makes you feel like jumping around and a suspense that keeps you glued to the book the whole time, what's not to love in Paranormalcy?

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

7 comments:

Beverley said...

Thanks for the review! This book looks really good, I've seen it in the library a few times, will have to check it out next time I go :)

Sophia said...

Yay, I'm so happy you enjoyed it, even though read it in Spanish! Lend and Reth both sound totally amazing. I read, like, the first 15 pages of this book before I had to return it to the library. Since you loved it so much, I guess I'll have to check it out again! Lovely review, Sophie. :)

Ella said...

Hm...I pretty much had the exact opposite reaction to this book. I definitely didn't find Evie endearing, but immature as you said. And a little annoying at times. I did love Lend though. Either way, this is a great review ^-^

Mimi Valentine said...

I was planning on quoting something from your review and saying, "Yes! Exactly this!!" but then I probably would've ended up quoting your entire review! x) LOL I'm really glad to hear that this translation actually worked for you -- I don't think that happens very often! :) Even though I felt like Evie was a little immature too, it definitely added to her adorable charm!

And Lend deserves all your gushing! Loved him so much! ♥

Amazing review, Sophie! Must you be so awesome at writing them? :')

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

I could find myself in your review! I fell in love with this book (and the next one. I can't wait for the last one <3) and Evie is such a adorable kid. I laughed a couple of time during this book and that's a strong point; there's no forced humor, everything felt right.

Andra said...

I totally get what you mean about translations! Battle Royal was a really hard one for me to read because it was translated from Japanese...but still I'm glad you enjoyed it even though yours was translated!

Gianna said...

Sophie, have I ever told you how much I love reading your reviews? They're always so quick and sweet to the point! (I'd say straight to the point but I thought "sweet" would be a better fit. ;D)

I've seen this book around in my library and I actually DID borrow it once but I returned it because I got bored after a few pages. Mind you, this was when I didn't stick it with books I didn't like if the first few pages sucked for me.

Buuut, seeing as we have similar tastes in books, I'm going to check it out again just for this review's sake! I'm really interested in reading about this Lend character. ;D

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio