Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

♔ Details

Title: Wanderlove
Author: Kirsten Hubbard
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release date: 13 March 2012
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
It all begins with a stupid question:

Are you a Global Vagabond?

No, but 18-year-old Bria Sandoval wants to be. In a quest for independence, her neglected art, and no-strings-attached hookups, she signs up for a guided tour of Central America—the wrong one. Middle-aged tourists with fanny packs are hardly the key to self-rediscovery. When Bria meets Rowan, devoted backpacker and dive instructor, and his outspokenly humanitarian sister Starling, she seizes the chance to ditch her group and join them off the beaten path.

Bria's a good girl trying to go bad. Rowan's a bad boy trying to stay good. As they travel across a panorama of Mayan villages, remote Belizean islands, and hostels plagued with jungle beasties, they discover what they've got in common: both seek to leave behind the old versions of themselves. And the secret to escaping the past, Rowan’s found, is to keep moving forward.

But Bria comes to realize she can't run forever, no matter what Rowan says. If she ever wants the courage to fall for someone worthwhile, she has to start looking back.

Kirsten Hubbard lends her artistry to this ultimate backpacker novel, weaving her drawings into the text. Her career as a travel writer and her experiences as a real-life vagabond backpacking Central America are deeply seeded in this inspiring story.
♔ Review

I love books (obviously), but this hobby of mine shares my heart with art -- I love it, too. So, put them together? YES, PLEASE. In the past I read -and adored- Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley, which is another book related to art. I was thrilled to read another book with this same theme!

Bria decides to travel to South America. I immediately loved that adventurous part of her. I don’t know if I’d have the courage to do that – scratch that, I probably wouldn’t, at least not alone. That’s why I had so much fun living that adventure with her. I enjoyed seeing the world through her artist eyes. There’s something special and magic about traveling and discovering new places. And just imagining those beautiful places Kirsten Hubbard described in Wanderlove made my day. 

Put apart from that but at the same time related to art, there was Bria's past. A tangle of feelings, hidden emotions, that come to life again on her journey. It was great seeing how Bria changed, really lived and grew stronger. The love story told in Wanderlove is so delicate, so sweet, it was just like a tiny flower I wanted to hold and protect with my hands. Okay, so maybe I didn't love Rowan as much as I'd had liked to, but I enjoyed reading about them anyways.

Don't push it back! Read Wanderlove as soon as you can. It's a beautiful story that will have you daydreaming and smiling through all the journey.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔

3 comments:

Miss Page-Turner said...

YAY YAY YAY I'm so glad you liked Wanderlove!!! Let's travel to Central America together;)

Mimi Valentine said...

I love books too!! Hehe, just putting that out there x) ♥

And Sophie, this was such a FANTASTIC review! I already have this book high up on my TBR pile because of how much positive hype is going on around it, and the way you described the magic of discovering those new places makes me want to pack my bags and travel like Bria (even though I'm not adventurous at all haha)!

Must I be more tempted to read this book? Yes, you made it an absolute MUST, Sophie! ♥ ;)

Born Bookish said...

Great review! I can't wait to read this one myself. Of all the reviews I've read on this I hadn't heard that it had anything to do with art. BONUS!!

P.S.
I'm an art student if that helps explain my excitement =)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio