Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Review: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

♔ Details

Title: Grave Mercy - His Fair Assassin #1
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Release date: 3rd April 2012

♔ Summary
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?
♔ Review

What a nice historical book! To be sincere, historical has to be the genre that I've read the least, but I'm definitely intrigued about. Oh, believe me, I've tried. But those others just weren't for me. You can imagine how happy I was to see that I liked this book so much.

Ismae is a girl outcasted by everyone. Her mother tried to have an abortion when she was pregnant of her, and that has left poor Ismae scarred and marked by Death, who they say is her real father. When her father tries to marry her to a despicable man, she escapes with the help of priests and herbwitches to a place where they say she'll be save. So they take her to St. Mortain's abbey, a convent that serves Death. There, she is trained as an assassin to carry out his wishes. And kill. But even as a handmaiden of Death, she is a bit special. She can see marques, shadows on a person's skin that shows how they will die. At first I was a bit worried because I thought it would be too much like Mara Dyer, but then I saw I had nothing to worry about!

As a result of  an unexpected development of events, she ends up in court, just at the center of the whirlwind of conspiracies, treason and murder. Another great thing about Grave Mercy being historical? I got to see all the power struggles between the ranks of society. It was fascinating. I admit to being a little confused about countries, governors and wars sometimes, but it didn't keep me from understanding what was going on in the book.

All the characters were so well defined, I had a lot of fun reading about them! Some of them were very unique. The love story wasn't what I expected. There were some very sweet scenes, and some others that didn't work for me.

All in all, it's a very nice historical read that will keep you hooked until the very end. I have no idea what the second will be about (it was very conclusive), but I'm looking forward to it!

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔

11 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

Same here! I've tried to get into historical fiction more lately but it just doesn't work out that way most times LOL x) But like you, this book was IT for me. My heart broke for Ismae and all her awesomeness, and the power struggle of the court (which may have been a little confusing for me too) was definitely fascinating. I can't think of a better word for it!

Amazing review, Sophie! ♥ I can't wait for the next book to come out too -- I actually think it's going to be about another assassin nun, which is bound to be really cool! :)

Hilda K said...

I'm not the biggest fan of historical fiction either, Sophie, because they tend to bore me LOL! But like you, I'm glad that this book is one of the exceptions! I agree, the characters are very unique and the romance is very nice! I can't wait for the second book, I hope it will be just as awesome as the first! <3

Gabby said...

I don't normally read historical fiction But this one I cant wait to get my hands on!

Awesome review, Sophie!

gabby~

Bookmarks & Bookshelves

Carina said...

Lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed GRAVE MERCY, especially since I really liked it, too. :) I haven't read much historical fiction either, but sometimes it's just a lovely change. :)

Carina

Varsha Dinesh said...

I can't make up my mind about Grave Mercy. I had to push myself to finish it, probably because I am not into historical novels. Beginning was awesome though. Great review.

Ajoop. S said...

I so agree! I loved the characters and the romance mostly worked! I cannot wait for the sequel! I think there was a blurb about the next book after the end... which says it's about Sybella. I hope Ismae and Duval are still somehow involved! Awesome review, Sophie :D

ashelynn hetland said...

I am so glad I'm not the only one who finds historical fiction intriguing but not a lot of books hold up! I liked Grave Mercy, too, and so agree with your review!

Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

Jessica@Booked Up! said...

This is a wonderful review, Sophie! Glad that you enjoyed this. By the way, you have a really lovely blog, and I am a new follower! Would love if you could stop by my blog and maybe follow me back. :)

Jessica from Booked Up!
www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com

Darlene said...

Oh gosh! I can’t wait to get my hands on this book! It looks so so good! Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear some confirmation about how good this book is. I am looking forward to reading it. Now to just get some money to buy it! :)

Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

Sophia said...

This book sounds SO AMAZING! <3 I've heard nothing but good things about it. I haven't read a lot of historical fiction, but I think this would be a good one to start with. :) I'm sorry some of the romance scenes didn't work with you, Sophie. :( But I'm glad you liked this book overall! Wonderful review! <3

Gianna said...

Ahhh, lovely review Sophie! Only one complaint about your review... It makes me want to read this book even more now! D: I haven't read too much of historical fiction but this one seems like an exception. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio