Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

♔ Details

Title: Storm - Elemental #1
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Kensington
Release date: 24th April 2012

♔ Summary
Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream.

Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming . . .
♔ Review

I had been hearing amazing things about Storm, and ever since i read its summary, I knew that it was a book I had to get as soon as it was out. Now that I've read it, I can say it was one of my best decisions.

Storm takes us to a world where, even when everything seems normal, it's not. Humans are humans, though they are a little different; everyone has an affinity to one of the five elements (earth, air, fire, water and spirit -the combination of all the others-). The level of "power" varies in every person. Maybe they're just attracted to activities involving that element, nothing magic at all. On the other end, though, are the Elementals, the ones who have so much power that it has been decided that they have to be killed.

One Elemental is dangerous. Okay, now imagine a family of four brothers, all of them Elementals. They live knowing they are practically sentenced to death, yet they never give up and try to go on. But it's not always easy; those with powers that know what they are are committed to making their life hard and pushing them to explode, to use their powers so everyone realizes what a threat they are. Reading about the Merrick brothers is one of the best things of the book. Their relationship is one of tension, anger and undying affection. Their roles were delightfully defined: Michael, the oldest brother, taking care of them now that their parents can't; The twins Nick and Gabriel, another reasons to read the series (since I'm a twin, too), with their polar opposite characters but identical appearance; And Chris, the little one and our main character in this book.

Becca is one of those characters that easily gain your heart. She's a normal girl who has to deal with her life: living with only her mother since her father left when she was little. Life is hard enough now with the false rumors everyone is spreading about her, when she gets tangled with the Merrick brothers by saving Chris's life. Oh, and talking about characters, there's one particular boy who snatched all my attention for a while. Hunter is the new boy in school, a mystery of its own, even in the end.

There was a lot of love drama in Storm. Highly enjoyable, things got to a steamy point while everything tangled even deeper. And there was a love triangle. It was painful, I was pinning for the two totally swoon-worthy boys!

Undoubtedly the best part of the book is how the author described the powers. Those moments were beyond enthralling. The way she wrote it, it was as if the elements themselves called to the brothers. Gosh, it was beautiful. You have to read it in order to understand it. The whole book it's very fast paced and with lots of action. Beware! You won't be able to put it down a moment when you read it. Which you totally have to do. Soon.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

7 comments:

Gianna said...

Eeeep! I'm totally reading this right now and I'm loving it! I think I'm Team Chris (so far...) ;D

Nice review, Sophie! <3

Mimi Valentine said...

OH SOPHIE! Here, I hand my heart out to you for writing epic reviews for books that I love completely too! ♥ I'm Team Chris all the way (because I love water and love sweetness and love HIM), but Hunter is a mystery! Even after the end, I still couldn't really figure him out either, so I'm hoping that we'll get to figure out some of his story then :) And, of course, Gabriel's story in Spark!

Amazing review, Sophie! And I still can't help but smile every time you remind me that you're a twin -- if she ever got a blog too, that would be so fun! x)

roro said...

team Chris lol

yes i loved how she described the powers
awesome review sophie

Sam said...

Love triangle aside, this sounds like my type of book! I wasn't sure about this before but everyone seems to love it and now I can't wait to read it myself. Awesome review, Sophie!

Celine said...

YAYYYYY!!! I am SO GLAD you enjoyed it, Sophie! <3 And hmmm, I LOVE Chris but I love the twins too! They are so adorable and AMAZING! And the elements are really awesome too!

Fantastic review, Sophie! <3

Ajoop. S said...

OMG, why haven't I read this yet? I've been reading about this book everywhere now and it sounds amazing! First, the four brothers. They all sound completely swoon-worthy in their own way!! And the writing sounds beautiful and fantastic too! The love triangle- hm. ~_~ But I really can't wait to read it! Loved your review, Sophie ♥ You make it sound un-putdownable!!

Arila said...

Al final me estás creando expectación con este libro, a ver si el mes que viene me lo leo. ¿Eres gemela idéntica? Siempre he pensado que eso tiene que ser super chulo ^^ ¡Un beso! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio