Thursday, April 05, 2012

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

♔ Details

Title: Touch of Frost - Mythos Academy #1
Author: Jennifer Estep
Publisher: Kensington Publishing Corp
Release date: 1st August 2011
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy—a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .
♔ Review

Lately I've started reading books that have a great deal of mythology, and you know what? I love it. When I was little it was a fascinating subject for me, and I'm glad my passion is returning. And I know I'm just starting to discover all the awesomeness! And as such, Touch of Frost didn't let me down a bit in this. Sometimes it got a little confusing, but it was the way the main character felt, so I can't say much about it. I'm dying to discover more of that world in the next book! Oh, and did I mention it's in a school? That, in my opinion, made it even better.

I had a couple of issues with the main character, Gwen. I liked her concept; kick-ass heroine with her not-so-normal gift called psychometry that enables her to know everything that's happened involving that particular object or person, if it's the case. But, to me, it seemed like she was always scoffing at everybody. Almost to the point of being disrespectful. For example: there was a girl in her school that supposedly slept around a lot. Okay, but calling her "slut" every time? And if two people were kissing, they were "sucking face". I don't know, but for me it seemed too much.

In the midst of it all there is Logan Quinn, a Spartan (the deadliest kind of mythic warrior). I liked reading about him (who wouldn't? A hot guy that knows how to fight!). Sadly, their romance seemed too forced. Gwen hated him at first, and then she suddenly was in love for him. Simply... no. And him? During the book it seemed like he liked her, but in the end, out of the blue, he's cold towards her. Yep, I felt puzzled.

All in all, loved the world and the setting, but the characters and the love story could be better. Nonetheless, I'm curious to know how it will turn out and to know more about their world! So I guess I'll be reading the next one. I hope Gwen won't seem like such a hater and the romance gets better.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

7 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh my gosh, I'm the exact same way!! I love reading books that are about any sort of mythology (although the main one is usually Greek), and I love reading books set in academies even more! They're always so fun and drama-filled that it's really exciting! I'm glad that this book didn't let you down with this aspect at all :)

And I think I'd feel the same way about Gwen! I like my kick-ass heroines, but there's definitely a line between bad-ass and downright disrespectful like you said.

Still, even though the romance and Gwen weren't your favourite, this was an AMAZING and honest and perfect review, Sophie! I'm going to read this one soon so I can hope for the best in the next book with you :) ♥

Hilda K said...

I LOVE Greek mythology! I've had my eyes set on this eyes for a long time, but I just can't bring myself to buy it! I love the idea of school of myths, it reminds me to Oh.My.Gods by Tera Lynn Childs and the famous Percy Jackson series. <3

Oh, I think I'd have problem with the main character! I dislike main character who keep sulking every day. I mean, not everyday can be your worst day, right? Forced romance is a big turn off too! I-hate-you-to-death then I-love-you-forever-and-ever suddenly? Not good!

I think I'll pass it for now. I hope the next book will be much better for you, Sophie! Looking forward to hear your review <3

Carina said...

Thanks a lot for your honesty! I have only read the prequel novella so far, but I have TOUCH OF FROST sitting on my shelf and really hope to get to it soon to find out whether I'll think similarly. :)

Carina

Arila said...

A mi también me encanta la mitología griega, pero este no me acaba de llamar mucho la atención y como parece que le has encontrado algunos fallitos, de momento no creo que lo lea. Sobre todo eso de los romances repentinos es algo que no me suele gustar. También en parte no me llama por la portada, que me parece horrible.
¡Un beso Sophie/Sunhee! ;)

Ajoop. S said...

School of myths? Oh my god! That sounds so different :D and I can't get enough of such school settings! Though the characters sound just alright, the premise sounds AMAZING! Can't wait to check this one out :)

roro said...

tnx 4 the honest review
gwen def grows up in book 3
i can freaking wait for book3

roro said...

typo lol i meant book2

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio