Saturday, May 05, 2012

Review: Fire by Kristin Cashore

♔ Details

Title: Fire - Graceling Realm #2
Author: Kristin Cashore
Publisher: Dial (Penguin Young Readers Group)
Release date: 5th October 2009

♔ Summary
She is the last of her kind... 
It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her. 
Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don’t need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven’t, you’ll be dying to read it next.
♔ Review

I finally read the marvelous second part of the Graceling Realm series. I don't even know how to start describing each point that made me love this book.

In Fire we are introduced to a whole new setting; here there aren't gracelings. Here there are monsters. They can be every kind of living being, even human, and they are distinguished by its brightly colored fur, or skin, or in Fire's case, her hair. She's the only human monster. Her father was one, too. He was the late king Nax's highest adviser and also the responsible of the kingdom's neglect in the past. Because monsters are not good. They can read and control minds as they please. Fire, with her fiery red her (plus streaks of gold and pink), is breathtakingly beautiful. Unfortunately, her unearthly beauty can bring out the worst of mankind and other monster animals prefer her for meals.

Everyone hates Fire. First, because she's a monster. And then, because she is the daughter of the man who almost destroyed the kingdom. Luckily she still has Brocker, who is like an adoptive father to her, and his son Archer is her best friend. Her life's always been hard, but her "adoptive family" somehow brightened it. Her relationship with Archer is... special. They've been best friends since the very beginning, but these last years their relationship has deepened. And he seems to be the one with more feelings of the two, but sleeps with other random women at the same time. That wasn't exactly cheating, but I found myself disliking that part of him. Later on the book we discover more about him, and as I got to know him better he didn't give off that image anymore. I found out what a beautiful and flawed character Archer really was. He won a piece of my heart even though that was the last thing I expected from him at first.

Kirsten Cashore's characterizing left me astonished once again. Throughout the book she proved me wrong with my first impressions repeatedly. And I loved it. I'm talking about the brothers Brigan and Nash, of course. They are so different from each other, but I couldn't help loving them both. Brigan with his serious, composed, responsible demeanor. And Nash (the king) with his impulsive, caring and sometimes child-like character. The characters in general were so intrincated... you have to read it (preferably NOW! If you haven't yet) in order to actually understand.

While most of the book is centered on Fire, let me tell you that the last part was EPIC. There were some kick-ass fighting scenes, and we get to see all the conspiration, a clash of powers. With Fire in the midst and with the author's incredible writing, it felt astonishingly real.

As a sequel of Graceling, Fire is a book that doesn't let down! With its new creatures, never-ending action and a love story so passionate, so wonderful you don't even know what to do with your life anymore, it more than delivered.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

8 comments:

Hilda K said...

I liked Fire, though I think I prefer Graceling a bit more. Both are amazing though! I can't wait to read Bitterblue, I heard only wonderful things about that book! x) Like you, Sophie, I adore the Kristin Cashore's characters. They seem very real, strong, and complicated. :)

Beautiful review, Sophie! I'm glad you love this book! <3

Gianna said...

Darn darn darn it, I need to start reading the Graceling Realm series! I absolutely adore fantasy, and I've only heard good things about these books.

Great review, Sophie! <3 You always write the best ones. :D

Arila said...

¡Qué bien, tu reseña de Fire, tenía muchas ganas de leerla! Ahora me han entrado muchísimas ganas de leerme el libro, menos mal que ya lo tengo planificado para este mes :)
Parece que es todo totalmente nuevo, yo espera ver algo de Graceling en este libro, pero por otra parte mejor porque lo leí hace tanto que se me ha olvidado mucho ya.
Un besito :)

Sam said...

I don't think I enjoyed Fire as much as Graceling but I did still really like it. :) Awesome review Sophie! I'm glad to hear this book didn't let you down.

Mimi Valentine said...

I know! This book was just so different from Graceling -- because, well, there weren't any Gracelings at all and the main characters were extremely different -- but I still loved it like crazy! My heart broke constantly for Fire because of how everyone thought of her. But I love what you said about how Kristin Cashore made first impressions irrelevant with almost every single character. Archer, Brigan, Nash, even Fire... Like you, no matter how my opinions started out, I ended up loving them all!

Beautiful & wonderful review, Sophie! You truly have a way with words :') <3

Ajoop. S said...

Awesome review, Sophie! I'm yet to read this awesome series but I've heard amazing things about it and with Bitterblue making rounds in the blogosphere, I've been wanting to check out the Graceling series!:)

Miss Page-Turner said...

Great review!!Love books with a strong ending!Now I need to read it right?

Linny @ Linnys Literature said...

Wow, 5 stars and a lot of great things said about this one. I just won a giveaway for Fire so I'm super glad to hear that! I still have to buy Graceling and read it, but it's great to know the 2nd won't be a flop. Some series have great first books and then the second is a big let down. Good to know that won't be the case here. Thanks for the review! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio