Saturday, May 12, 2012

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

♔ Details

Title: Sweet Evil - The Sweet Trilogy #1
Author: Wendy Higgins
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release date: 2nd May 2012
Add on Goodreads

♔ Summary
What if there were teens whose lives depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels in Sweet Evil.
Tenderhearted Southern girl, Anna Whitt, was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage, and her will-power is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?
♔ Review

Sweet Evil was one of my most anticipated books of the year ever since I read the summary (okay, I admit it, the cover is gorgeous and attracted me from the first moment!), plus all the rave reviews did nothing but convince me further. Now, having read it, I can say I'm so glad I did!

Anna lives with her stepmother, Patti. Her biological mother died from childbirth and she doesn't who her father is. She's different from other girls. She can sense people's emotions and see them, just like an aura of different colors. She's a very good natured girl, except, she's always felt a pull towards not-so-good things: alcohol and drugs. But she's always been able to ignore her dark side. Until she meets the perfect, handsome English-accented and totally swoon-worthy material drummer of The Lascivious, Kaidan Rowe. What makes curious about him is Kaidan's rather special aura (or lack of it). When he enters in her life, her vision of the world is turned upside down, she learns what she really is, and her bad side is tested like never before.

All the characters were an absolute delight to read about. Between the good Anna and the bad Kai, you have one of the most interesting couples I've read in some time. When they got together sparks fly. Their scenes were noting short of intense! I mean, he's the son of Lust (I could go on endlessly about how hot he is, but I've promised I'd keep the fangirling to a minimum), so expect some smoking hot scenes. As I've said before he plays the drums and, admittedly, I would have liked to see a bit more of the rest of Kai's band. I hope we do in the future! On the other hand, Kai's childhood friends are definitely unique. We are presented to them almost at the end of the book, but that made me even more excited to read about them in the future. Another set of notorious characters are Anna's stepmother and biological father. Patti is so sweet, caring and protective towards Anna you can't help but warming up to her. I didn't find her overprotective or too hovering, just... sweet. Their relationship was really nice! And her father, well, he's a piece of work. He's AWESOME, with capital letters and all. Seriously. You have to read the book to understand it.

This is a book about angels, and as much as I'd like to do a breakdown and explanation of how that world is played out in this book, I don't want to spoil you! The plot runs flawlessly, and every piece of information about the angels is carefully laid out in the story so we understand exactly what's going o without it becoming too overwhelming. Let me just tell you that this is now my favorite angel book!

Sweet Evil is a story that hooks you from the very start and doesn't let you put the book down a second while at the same time enthralls you with its angel setting. You should read it if you haven't yet! It's one of the best of the year, without a doubt.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

14 comments:

Chantel Law said...

Ohhhh, sounds good! I love the front cover:) Great review btw:)

Marta M. said...

Glad you liked it! I've heard mixed things about it but since I'm a paranormal fan girl I will go for it. BTW amazing review, spoiler-free

Hilda K said...

This book sounds FANTASTIC! The first thing that attracted me about this book is the gorgeous cover, but the story sounds amazing too! This book keep getting high praises and I'm hoping to read it soon! I've already got a copy in my bookshelf. Hopefully I'll like it as much as you did, Sophie! :)

Brilliant review like always, Sophie! <3

Nicola said...

Ooh, you've made me even more excited for this one than I already was! I'm really hoping to be able to order a copy soon. It sounds fantastic and is getting so many rave reviews. Great review, Sophie! :D

Ajoop. S said...

Oohh a 5 star review. Awesome, I can't wait to read Sweet Evil! I fell in love with the cover too and the characters sound amazing! I love that there is so much chemistry between Anna and Kai. Fantastic review, Sophie ♥♥ Glad you enjoyed reading it!

Gianna said...

Ahhhh, I'm so glad you loved this book as much as I did! :D <33 I enjoyed the characters as well. They're so well written, and those romance scenes were HOTHOTHOT indeed!

You and I are definitely Kai's top fangirls ;D

Wonderful review, Sophie! <33

Linny @ Linnys Literature said...

After seeing your Tweet I just had to come and check out your review. So glad to see that you gave it a 5 stars! I'm about half way through and it is just soo good. Cannot wait to meet her father and see what happens next! Great review! :)

Mimi Valentine said...

Ohh, what a BEAUTIFUL review, Sophie! I'm so happy that you loved this book too -- all of your points were SPOT-ON and they're making me wonder why I didn't give it a perfect rating as well x) I would've liked to know a little more about Kaidan's band too, but the fact that he was a drummer at all was enough to make me like him! And I LOVED Patti! She was awesome. She was sweet. She was what every mother should be! :')

This is the kind of review that authors would read and smile at, Sophie -- absolutely gorgeous! :) <3

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Ohhhhh, brilliant review Sophie! I'm so happy that you loved this book :D I'm looking forward to read it. The hot steamy drummer sounds great, haha. And smoking scenes are something I enjoy, so it really sounds like a book for me :D This is one of the first reviews I read about this book and you did a marvelous job at explaining what I can expect. Thank you for that!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

I came so close to buying this yesterday!!

Sophia said...

I. NEED. THIS. BOOK. Haha! I needed to read it, like, yesterday. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book. Honestly! I don't think I've seen a single negative review. I'm so happy you loved it, Sophie! It sounds like I will too. Kaidan sounds totally swoon-worthy. ;) Fabulous review, Sophie! <3 Can't wait to check it out myself.

Arila said...

Pues con una reseña como esta, ¿cómo no me van a entrar ganas de leer este libro? Me encanta cuando describes a los protagonistas masculinos ^^
¡Un beso!

Rebecca (Kindle Fever) said...

I'm so glad you loved it so much! I keep hearing such awesome things about it... I need to pick it up ASAP! It sounds fantastic. I just recently got my copy, so now I just need to make time for it. :) Great review.

Jennifer said...

Just finished reading and reviewing this one. Sooo good. Loved the neph. Kai -sigh- perfection. Anna was a great heroine. Loved Patti and Anna's dad. Really loved this book. Great review :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio