Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review: The Golden Lily

♔ Details

Title: The Golden Lily - Bloodlines #2
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Release date: 12th June 2012

♔ Summary
The second thrilling installment in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy spinoff series.
Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.
♔ Review

I was so excited when it came in the mail... I actually had to wait until exams were over to read which proved to be a difficult thing, but luckily I succeeded. Needless to say, once I took my last one, I picked it up immediately and began to read. Oh, Richelle Mead. I know I could write this review almost as a love letter to her for writing such a good book. ALL her books have just something in them... that makes them incredibly enjoyable and memorable. I'd missed reading her books with the wait from the first one of the Bloodlines series. 

Now, onto the book itself, I liked it because (as the other books of hers) it doesn't have "major evil" or something like that, but simply an eventual thread that can end very wrong if not threaded carefully. And although it did have that in-between feeling for me, it didn't bother me at all. It felt completely in place, helping resolve things at a more local setting (I know, I know, talking cryptically so as to not spoil readers).

Then, there's Sydney. When the first book came out, and even before, I was afraid Sydney's character wouldn't click with me as much as Rose did in the Vampire Academy series. While reading the first book I it was still something really new and couldn't judge. But now, now I can see I don't have anything to fear (we're talking about Richelle Mead after all). Because Rose and Sydney are completely different. They're both fighters, heroines, and on of their strongest points are loyalty and courage. But where Rose is physical strength, Sydney is cleverness and intelligence. And I utterly loved both. Here Sydney is not as much socially awkward as she was in the first book, but her social experiences never cease to be fun to read about.

What this book had was intrigue. We get to know the truth about a close friend of theirs. But I believe nothing is over for our group of friends! I still think there are a couple of shady characters out there that are not to trust (yeah, my detective side really showed while reading The Golden Lily!). ...And then there's Adrian. Oh, Adrian. I knew he was something special when I first read about him in the other series. He's, in my opinion, the biggest highlight of the book and overall and irreplaceable character. Like, seriously.

For those who are reading the series there's nothing else I can say to convince you to keep reading (I'm sure you're already hooked), and for those who aren't, DO IT.

♔ Rating

♔♔♔♔♔

17 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

YOU ARE SO BRAVE, SOPHIE! LOL I'm pretty sure I got this in the middle of exams too and dropped studying to read it -- you need to lend me some of your self-restraint :') I'm terrible.

And I think that Cryptic should be a language -- all bloggers have to be able to say it when they review LOL! x) But your review is still wonderful and true and amazing. I love how you compared Sydney to Rose; their loyalty and courage are definitely things they have in common, and that's one reason why I love them so much!

Amazingly beautiful review, Soph! <3 Adrian totally makes this book, right? I don't even think there's a team for Brayden LOL! x)

Arila said...

¡Sophie! Estabas desaparecida por aquí ^^
Lo he leído un poco por encima porque no quiero spoilearme nada de Bloodlines que espero leer pronto. Pero la parte de que tu reseña podría ser una carta de amor a Richelle Mean me ha hecho mucha gracia, la verdad es que todo lo que escribe esta mujer es increíble...
Me quedo con que te ha gustado tanto como los anteriores no?
¡Un beso! :)

Celine said...

EEEEEEE Sophie! I LOVE THE GOLDEN LILY! I loved it even more than Bloodlines. Adrian was absolutely fantastic in this book. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! And I love his growing relationship with Sydney. My first impression of Brayden was he's cool bceause he clicked with Sydney but as the book goes, I really disliked him, LOL.

Anyway, awesome review, Sophie! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it! Let the countdown to The Indigo Spell begin ;)

Sam said...

Amazing review, Sophie! I'm glad to hear waiting until your exams were over paid off. ;) Bloodlines wasn't as brilliant for me as I had hoped - I think my expectations had been too high after the VA series, which I LOVED. But I'm definitely still thinking about giving the sequel a chance. It sounds like most people loved it and I do miss Adrian. ;)

Jennifer said...

Great review, Sophie!

I liked how you explained the differences between Rose and Sydney. They are strong but in different ways and I like them both as heroines. Richelle Mead can do no wrong, really! It's awesome how she can write from such different perspectives.

And well, Adrian is perfect. (Lo adoro)

Hilda K said...

Oh, Adrian. I want to thank Richelle Mead for creating such amazing series like Bloodlines, but I also want her to never create it in the first place. I don't need more girls to fall in love with Adrian! :P LOL, sorry. My selfish side showing. :P

Anyway, fantastic review, Sophie! I'm sure that you've convinced everyone to give this series a go with you awesome review! Can't wait for The Indigo Spell! x)

PS: I'm very sorry I haven't commented on your blog lately! I got sick. :(

Christine Barba said...

Looks like a great read, thank you for sharing your review :)! I just found your blog and will be following it from now on. I just added some summer reading suggestions to my new blog if you want to take a look: http://heartisinthewriteplace.blogspot.com/
Thanks again!

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Wow, that you've managed to wait reading this, that took a lot of strength :p I'm glad that you loved it so much! I'm very interested in these books. I haven't read anything from her before, but everybody really seems to love these. I'm going to read them soon! :D Thanks for sharing your great review ^^

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

I was just wondering.. where are you? I miss your lovely Monday Morning news and your reviews :)

Erin W. said...

Great review! Adore this series!

Ajoop. S said...

Where are you? I miss your blog posts! And adored this review <3

estetik said...

Awesome, this was a absolutely superior post. In approach I'd like to address like this too - demography time and absolute accomplishment to accomplish a acceptable article... but what can I say... I adjourn alot and never assume to get something done. estetik
• Hi, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work
estetik

Rinoplasti said...

you are correct, this plugin that I need, before this, i have trouble with the standard feature, i think with this plugin we can create for free, thank you
Rinoplasti

Genital estetik said...

This is very interesting.The Music Balloon not only make a rocking hipster accessory for your iPod,
Kızlık zarı

onlinephduk said...

Wow, this is really too hot for a vampire series! I’m glad you we’re able to share it on your blog site. My friend invited me to read that too. But I turned her down. But after reading your blog post, who would dare miss it? Thanks for the invite! Ciao!


Split Site PhD Programs

helo win said...

Awesome, this was a absolutely superior post. In approach I'd like to address like this too - demography time and absolute accomplishment to accomplish a acceptable article... but what can I say... I adjourn alot and never assume to get something done.
toddler costume

Helen Keyes said...

Most of the vampire stories have the relation with the problem of the love. I hope this book can bring new information for this topic.

My website at certificate TEFL

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I appreciate each and every comment. I always try to comment on your blog in return :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio